Did you know?

The Inn originally opened in the late 1740’s under the ownership of Walter McCoole and was known as McCoole’s Tavern during the Revolutionary War period. The tavern’s name was changed to Enoch’s Tavern in 1793. The inn was used as a meeting place for the organizers of Fries Rebellion, a rebellion by German Pennsylvanians against a tax imposed to fund the war with France. The Pennsylvania Germans felt the tax was part of a plot to establish a British monarchy in America and therefore John, and many others opposed the tax. John Fries organized a rebellion after several protesters to the tax were arrested and marched on the building where they were being held. The prisoners were freed; Fries and the other protesters returned home. However Alexander Hamilton declared the protesters traitors and charged them with treason. They were found guilty in court and were to be hanged at a location opposite the Red Lion Inn. Fortunately, President John Adams stepped in and pardoned the protesters.

Our Ghost history is a varied blend of ladies, men and children. Orbs can be seen in pictures taken in the restaurant, as well as the theatre next door. Some customers and employees have seen them in full body as if they were just another person in the room with them.

The Inn was part of the Underground Railroad. There are tunnels that stretch across some spots of Quakertown and to the Richard Moore house where refugees and travelers would stay. Some of those tunnels still exist today underneath the Inn.

The tables in the Martini Lounge, where the piano is, were designed and finished by Quakertown Middle School students. Each table was done by a different classroom. All of the paintings in the windows of the bar and the back hallway were done by Quakertown Highschool art students.

The Mule outside, “Claude,” is from the “Miles of the Mules” project in 2003. This project was a fundraiser that went from Luzerne County to Bucks County to raise money to help restore locks along the Delaware River. Mules were the subject of the fundraiser as they were used to pull cargo from one river town to the next. Proceeds from this fundraiser also went to the Arts, the Michener Museum being a benefactor. These proceeds went towards acquiring new artwork for the museum.

The present day Birch Beer, was once a famous Colonial drink at the Red Lion Inn. The formula was a well guarded secret for years. It was finally secured by a bottler of soft drinks; after which it was sold in all tap houses and hotels.

Eric Knight of the “Lassie Come Home” original series used to eat lunch here with Lassie. The servers of the day were very annoyed when Lassie got a big juicy steak which was placed right on the hardwood floor in the dining room for him. Over time the steaks made dark spots on the hardwood and could not be removed by cleaning. Check out more of the story and picture in the rear dining room by the fireplace on the right.